Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 30923 network

  1. #1
    Inactive Member fragman56's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 26th, 2005
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks so much for the schematic! So, you biamp thru the 30923 and bypass the crossover section, right?

    What active crossover do you use/recommend?

    Rick

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, the contour network does a fine job. It helps correct for the
    Fletcher Munson effect which isn't talked about much.
    http://www.sfu.ca/sonic-studio/handb..._Contours.html

    I'm using a Rane AC 22 active crossover fed into an Adcom 2535, 4 channel amp.
    All for under $300 on e-pay made for a very pleasing set up. I think one can do much
    better than the Rane and that's an issue I hope to take up this Winter. For now, its sounding
    quite stunning and in comparison, they completely out classed a pair of Cornwalls that they
    were compared to. I see you know Cornwalls so you have a lot to look forward to. forums

  3. #3
    Inactive Member fragman56's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 26th, 2005
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ooooh gooody!

    What do you think about Behringer or DBX active crossovers? I take it you would steer me away from a Rane AC?

    And I love my Cornwalls! My Altec 605A's in 11 cuft,ported boxes aren't bad at all.

    I can't wait to hear the quasi-9846's; I say this because I will be building the enclosures myself.
    Any suggestions on these? Volumes, materials, stiffening/deadening, dimensions?

    BTW, what's the next step up in Altecs? Barcelona's? Just curious what experienced Altecees lust for?

    Thank you again for your info. I really appreciate it!

    Rick

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    What do you think about Behringer or DBX active crossovers? I take it you would steer me away from a Rane AC?

    I haven't used any other units. This was my first bi-amp job. On my unit, the dial settings were

    way off and I had to use a dual trace scope to set it up properly.. Had to use the units gain which

    caused a very slight hum that I don't want. I'm looking for opinions too. Their is a new thread started

    on the subject to keep an eye on.

    ""And I love my Cornwalls! My Altec 605A's in 11 cuft,ported boxes aren't bad at all. ""

    I always admired my friends Cornwalls. I initially thought of trading the huge 9846 for

    the Cornwalls to please the wife, but after comparing, the wife chose the 9846 forums forums

    ""I can't wait to hear the quasi-9846's; I say this because I will be building the enclosures myself.
    Any suggestions on these? Volumes, materials, stiffening/deadening, dimensions? ""

    Start a new thread about optimum box size for the 411. You might get lucky and

    have GM show up. Maybe make a sealed version of gonefishin's new creation.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member fragman56's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 26th, 2005
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have searched this forum for a schematic of the subject and got close. However, the schematic did not come up when I clicked on it.

    Any possibility of someone here that can post schematic of the 30923 network. I have a 511 horn, 411 woofer and no crossover/eq network yet. Maybe I will go with bi-amp instead if someone can convince to not try the stock network first.

    Thank you all for any response!
    Rick

    Altec 605A's
    Klipsch Cornwalls
    Altec 9846 drivers
    Tube amp homebrews (45s, 6bq5s,300b...)

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Rick, here is the note book scribble I made of the N-501-8a with the
    30923. (on a better link). I use the 30923 even though I bi-amped the speakers.
    The 411 woofer generates a lot of back EMF so it needs a clear path to an
    amplifier with a high damping factor. The N-501 restricted that path and made
    the 411 sound muddy. Bi-amp seems the only way to go with that huge voice coil.

    http://img101.imagevenue.com/img.php...ecn50130923jpg

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just curious what experienced Altecees lust for?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Model 19's. forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.